This is an experimental program to explore Mandelbrot fractal set images.
The fractals are computed on the GPU using one of the following precisions:
- single precision
- extended precision based on 2x single precision
- double precision
- extended precision based on 2x double precision
The main feature are the 2x single or double precision modes, but unfortunately these do not work with many OpenGL implementations.
- Known to work:
- Mesa 11.0 on Intel Sandybridge Mobile
- Mesa 11.0 llvmpipe (tested with
- Known not to work:
- Mesa 11.0 on Intel Bay Trail (strange artifacts)
- NVIDIA proprietary drivers (no additional precision; apparently the
GL_ARB_gpu_shader5is ignored in the fragment shader)
Coloring is based on user-defined color maps (e.g. created with gencolormap) and can be animated.